Mike Hide

seems to me only mr Kerry was the one touting military service ...Bush
wasn't ,the only ones questioning that werer Kerry supporters. But in
retrospect it better dropped the congress is filled with lawyers [including
Edwards] who never served.

Zig zag Zell as the democrats call him certainly did.....mjh

"LRod" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:01:39 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Bob Schmall"

wrote:

What does military service have to do with being a good president? Mr.

Bush
is president yet spent his time serving (?) in the Guards, and IIRC

since
1960 only Presidents Kennedy, Carter, and Bush 1 served in the regular
military. Several presidents served in the Civil War, but that was no
indicator of their abilities--in fact Grant, the most famous of them,

was a
notoriously poor president.

Johnson, Nixon, and Ford all served in the Navy during WWII. IIRC,

Johnson as
an observer, Nixon in logistics, and Ford on combat ships. Clinton is the

only
President in the last sixty years with no military service of any sort.

I'm sorry, which branch did FDR serve in? Assistant Secretary of the
Navy hardly qualifies as "military service;" it's a civilian
appointment. Moreover, the fact that the greatest president in the
20th Century didn't have any military service (just the AsstSecNav
position), yet successfully led us to victory in the mother of all
wars proves the point that it isn't a qualifying distinction.

In fact, to put this in a little better perspective, no president in
the 20th Century from Roosevelt to Roosevelt served in the military. I
wish the chest thumping neo-cons (who have little to brag about in the
phantom national guard record of their standard bearer) would quit
trying to make such a big deal out of military service.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net