Stephen Williams

"Andrew" wrote in message
| Just been out looking at new carpet for bedroom....
| I'd originally thought I'd get them to fit over the old underlay....
| but most of suppliers say you should buy new underlay as old will have
| flattened etc...
|
| Hmmm.... I've removed old carpet ...
| Current underlay is somesort of brownish fibre (actually green squared
| pattern
| on floorboard side and brown matt fibres on top side...) and about 5+mm
| thick ... staple thru
| Its at least 8 years old (we moved in) ... and less than 25 years old
(house
| built)....
|
| Underlay costs seem to be between £2 sqyd (fibre) and £5(foam) sq yd... Do
| need new ...
| Would it help / be advisable to put the new layer (say fibre) of underlay
| over the old and get them to staple top layer thru bottom to floorboard
| or will this cause
| trouble... Should I just throw out old underlay and replace with new
| (I wouldn't want to throw out good stuff and replace with inferior just
meet
| some sales guys
| quota)..
| What say you ...?
| thanks Andrew

There's an old saying in the trade
"A poor carpet needs a good underlay and a good carpet deserves one."
The fibre type should be jute, cotton and other similar products, which mats
down in walk way areas. The underlay is not only there to feel nice but to
protect the carpet and I would recommend that it is replaced. Lets face it
you are paying good money for a carpet, probably a lot more than for the
underlay, and you will want the carpet to last 8/10 years by which time the
old underlay will be 16 - 20 years old. Go for a fairly solid rubber
underlay, not the waffle type, and you will find that it doesn't mat down in
the walkways half as much as the fibre types.
By the way, pinning new over old is false economy as they will move causing
rucking of the new carpet which in turn leads to premature wear.

Just my 10p's worth - the choice is yours!

Steve