Lurch

Default how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch

On 19 Jan 2004 01:54:38 -0800, (Nick) wrote:

I have relocated an existing pull switch to outside its bathroom. Now
I want to change it to a 'normal' switch. However, it has more wires
than terminals in a normal switch. I think I need a special type of
switch (boiler?), with more terminals. Can anyone advise me whch type
of switch I need and how it should be wired?

The existing pull switch has four terminals and an earth terminal. It
is wired;

- Earth (which I assume I wire to the new switches metal box)
- Red to one terminal
- Black to one terminal
- Second red shared to two terminals by way of a link

The switch activates a ceiling light and also a shared extractor fan.
Any help would be much appreciated. Nick

Sorry, but I hope you haven't rewired as per the other answers.
You need a douple pole switch, usually rated at 20A or similar as used
for immersion heaters.
The reason this type is used is that the fan is shared between two
rooms I would assume. This means in essence that if you connected them
all together as per the other posts then every time you switch the
light on in one room the light in the other rrom will come on. The
douple pole switch prevents this by providing an isolated fan and
light switch on one plate.
When you get your double pole switch you will notice that one pole
will say 'L' and the other 'N'. Ignore this, it isn't a requirement,
more a guide. You need to connect the 2 reds that are looped int the
'L' and 'N' terminals on the 'MAINS' or 'SUPPLY' side.
The red and black switch wires need to go to the two terminals 'L' and
'N' marked 'LOAD', any way round will be fine.
Remember a double pole switch will need a deeper box in the wall than
a normal light swtch.
This is exacly how it is done at my house and I have done the same as
you, moved the pull switch to a wall switch outside.
You don't live round the corner from me do you!
Any more queries, just ask.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.