Tom

Just got three estimates for a tear-off roof job ranging from $8,000 to
$13,500. I live in the suburb of Detroit and the estimates are for
replacing existing 1 layer of shingles by new 30 yr. shingles. Roof
area is 3,200 square ft. with a 8/12 pitch. About 1/2 of the roof area
is 2 stories high, the rest is one story. I checked the price for the
30 yr. GAF shingles at Home Depot about $40 a square. So I estimate the
material cost to be around $1,500. Therefore much of the cost is in the
labor. Is the total cost of $250 to $425 per square reasonable around
my area ? Can someone with experience tell me what is a fair price to
pay ? I am really surprised about the big difference between the high
and the low bids. As far as I can tell the proposals are identical
except for the price.

You never told us which suburb of Detroit! When I was roofing in the northern
subs, Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills/Royal Oak, etc., I could charge $250/square,
all inclusive, except for rot repair. After I paid my workers, I was happy to
pay myself $200/day. It wasn't worth the hassle at that rate! And this was in
1996... Tom
Work at your leisure!