LCZ

Roofing jobs are one of the favorite scams going. You do need to be
careful.

Some quote jobs by number of squares of shingles. Others want to quote 'by
the job' or 'by the hour'.

Get references, and check each with BBB.

Be sure that ALL bidders physically measure the roof. Some like to get 2/3
of the job done and then "Oh, I underestimated the area". Get a set price
in writing before ANY work is done.

Are all using the same quality of shingle?

There is more then just shingles, is all necessary flashing included? How
about ridge vents (if used in your area).

Are shingles being delivered 'to the job' or 'on the roof'. This can be an
extra charge as much as $10 a bundle.

Is disposal of old material included?

How long will job take. My house took two days. My neighbor had a crew
show up as I was leaving for work one morning. When I got home at 5PM the
job was completed, and they were gone!

Since labor is the major single cost. Don't let them drag the job into
un-necessary days.

Another scam is to get part of the job done and then find 'problems' with
the roof that will HAVE to be done before they can continue.

Good luck.

"DL" wrote in message
Just got three estimates for a tear-off roof job ranging from $8,000 to
$13,500. I live in the suburb of Detroit and the estimates are for
replacing existing 1 layer of shingles by new 30 yr. shingles. Roof
area is 3,200 square ft. with a 8/12 pitch. About 1/2 of the roof area
is 2 stories high, the rest is one story. I checked the price for the
30 yr. GAF shingles at Home Depot about $40 a square. So I estimate the
material cost to be around $1,500. Therefore much of the cost is in the
labor. Is the total cost of $250 to $425 per square reasonable around
my area ? Can someone with experience tell me what is a fair price to
pay ? I am really surprised about the big difference between the high
and the low bids. As far as I can tell the proposals are identical
except for the price.