pyotr filipivich

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what jim rozen
foisted 20 Aug 2004 12:54:11 -0700 on
rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:
In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

Maybe that's what your insurance company does, but the ones I'm dealing
with tend to try to not only cut costs, but put the "idle" cash to work
making some money for the company.

Define "putting to work" please.

The usual ways that "money makes money". If you don't mind lazy money,
you put it in a passbook account at 1%. If you don't mind your money
doing something really crazy, you put it on Flying Sylvester to show in the
third.
Or you can put it to work in other ways, usually called "investing".
Short term commercial paper, treasury notes, stocks, commodity futures,
mutual funds, real estate, forex arbitrage, hedge funds, even CDs. The
ways that people "invest" money in expectation of making more money down
the road.
Of course, in the words of Will Rogers, the way to make money in the
Stock market is to buy a stock if it is going to go up. If it isn't, then
don't buy it. [Actually, the real way to make money on the street is to
provide the service. People buy, people sell, either way, you get a
commission.] Word of advice, do not invest in Nigerian Bank transfers, or
the Tappet Depreciation fund (they promise a fifty percent rate of return
in six months. What they don't tell you is that in six months, they'll
return half your money.)

This help?
--
pyotr filipivich