gntry

Default 3 way switches question

this ones for the electricians out there. Two wall switches, one at the
bottom of the stairs, one at the top. Ceiling light at the top of stairs.
Light off, switch at bottom of stairs down position, switch at top in the on
position, I turn light on from downstairs, go up, turn switch off at top of
stairs,light stays on. I thought the correct way was to beable to turn light
on from first floor, go upstairs, turn light off and visa-versa?? correct or
not correct, could one of these switches be wired backwards? previous owner
did mess around with them at one time.