AskMeNot

RAY D. wrote:
I own a 50-year old Cape Cod house in Long Island. My basement is
currently unfinished, and I would like to reduce the dampness issue
before I finish it off. My walls have a heavy case of efflorescence,
which flakes off onto the floor. I have also seen small pools of water
on the floor (near the wall) in one corner. There are also several
craters in the wall & floor where the poured concrete has apparently
fragmented. Here is what I am planning to do to resolve the situation,
but would like some feedback to make sure I'm on the right track:
1. extend drainpipes further away from the house (already started
this)
2. vacuum the walls/floor
3. use drylock etch (muriatic acid) to clean entire wall/floor area
4. use ajax with bleach to further clean walls/floor and to kill any
mold
5. patch craters/cracks with drylock fastplug
6. paint walls with drylock latex

What I am wondering though is should I also drylock paint the floor as
well? I was thinking of at least painting the floor six feet from the
walls, just in case dampness is seeping in from there.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

try

http://www.sanitred.com/