ceraboy

KD wrote:

Greetings all:

Well, we decided to replace the wax ring in the downstairs toilet
today. Only problem was that the bolts were rusted out and we had to
use the hacksaw to get them off. Time consuming, but not a big deal.

So we go upon our merry way, get the bolts off, install the new ring
and put everything back together again. Looks great - except when you
flush, water appears on the floor. Upon a closer inspection, we find,
of all things, a HOLE in the porcelain! Quite small, can't fit my
pinky into it. It's not far from the floor, and doesn't leak until
you flush and the water goes down, it's not right in the bowl.

Is there anything out there that can fix such a thing, plug the hole?
Or do I need a new toilet?

Thanks,

KD

Depending on the location of the hole you could plug the hole instead
of springing for a new toilet. The two part epoxy sticks, the kind you
break off and knead with your fingers, work great for water
applications such as this. They cure chemically and will harden in
about 20minutes regardless of moisture or air conditions. My sump
system sprung a leak in the old iron pipes that I did not want to
replace, but a little bit of the steel epoxy stick has fixed the
problem so far three years running. I know there are white epoxy
sticks that would work for your problem, check your local home
improvement center with in the adhesives section. Sure it may not be
the professional or best way to do it, but it could work or least hold
you off until you are ready to mess with new toilets, wax seals, sewer
gas, and the the like.