Old Nick

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 04:51:41 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In the end I was just grizzling about the logic of only loving what
you want to love in your surroundings. I have found that _any_ attempt
to encourage "nice birdies" etc will result in unwanted stuff.

Ever have a 2.5" redwood limb fall 100' at you ?
- My house and stuff
take hits every year. My shop has a 2" hole in the roof I patched in the
rain.

Sorry. Your point is?

I am nature. I live on this earth. I provide for black bear, deer, possum
raccoon, small eagles, Bald Eagle from time to time, vermin under and on top of
ground and those climbing trees. The dozen or so bird species, including some exotic
and one that will never be mentioned :-) on my property. The snakes and newts go
at will. Our dog is sequestered on our back deck and the house. We kill invasive plants
and watch for fire (spending several thousand a year in property protection from fire)
and live on and underneath a hundred or so Coastal Redwoods.

Sounds like you have more land, but less property in my trees are between 100 and 200 feet tall.

If you mean less trees, I have 60Ha of which around 50 are full bush.

The birds live at multiple levels and have their hour in the sun. The small birds are a crackup,
the pecking order is such that as one eats, two or three await in line.

And since I'm mostly at the top of the pecking order I choose how nature is around here.
When the bobcat or mountain lion (brown or black (one here, I haven't seen it yet)) move
through, I give way to them as the other animals here do. We don't put ourselves in harms way
so we have to kill something, but if push comes to shove don't worry.

In Australia, the bunnie lovers almost killed the ranches from what I heard.

Not at all. The bunnies almost killed the farms, not the bunny lovers.
I am not aware of any great lobby to save the rabbit. Unless by bunny
lover you mean those that introduced them for their own purposes, and
may have fought to protect their own human-based interests.

As far as I know, the bunnies were introduced for hunting, for sport
and food, and I _believe_ to provide for the bloody foxes that were
also introduced so _they_ could be hunted for sport, by somebody that
misguidedly thought that they were at the top of the pecking order and
therefore could choose what they did or did not do to the rest of the
ecology, and could pick and choose what to encourage, and what to
shoot because it did not suit them. Having no other effective enemies
than Man (who soon forgot them in favour of mutton and beef), foxes,
and introduced cats, the rabbits went crazy. It's also interesting
that rabbit population density may not have been _that_ much higher
than in England. It's just that many farmers are farming land that
probably should not be farmed. It's very easy to damage a lot of
Australia. It's nearly a desert in 80-90% of its area.
Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so
that neither of them can do what they want to because
of the other one.