jacob

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...
jack wrote in message . ..
I've just removed the carpet from a bedroom 16 foot by 12 foot and
want to renovate the floorboards. The house was originally a surgery
owned by the local health authority and is about a hundred years old.
The flooboards have been cut along one of the joists the entire
length (16 foot) of the room, leaving two floorboards of roughly four
and eight foot in length across the width of the room.
The four foot length is the original board and the eight length looks
as if they were put down about thirty years ago. Both types of boards
are the same width and thickness and both have shrunk slightly leaving
gaps.
I'm hoping to lift them and relay staggering the joints, by
alternating the boards and closing the gaps between.

What's the point of this? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me.
You will have a whole set of new problems and will probably end up
replacing half the boards - the new boards will then shrink and the
gaps will return.

cheers

jacob