Lee

(eddy eagle) wrote:

Lee wrote:
I currently have a range hood (Broan, 30" 180 CFM 3-1/4" x 10"rear
duct outlet) that came with the house. The existing duct vents
outside with the following configuration: the 3-1/4" x 10" rear duct
has one 90 degree bend where it drops down an interior wall
(approximately 6 feet)to the basement. There is a 2nd 90 degree bend
converting to to a 7" round duct which goes 5 additional feet (along
the basement ceiling) straight to the outside.

I would like to replace this hood with a Zephyr Typhoon hood with CFM
rating of 250-850. I am seeking advice if this is appropriate with
the existing ductwork. Can a hood be too powerful for the ductwork?

I think it's OK. That's a standard sized duct. Just look at the specs
on the box or booklet for the new one. They always put the duct
requirements there for the product.

Thanks! The replacement hood does have a rear 3-1/4" x 10" horizontal vent
option. I just didn't know if the distance from the outside or the ductwork
bends caused any problems.

Lee