Rob Gray

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:10:59 -0500,
(m Ransley)
wrote:

I own Apt Buildings I manage buildings, and had a construction -
remodling co for 20 years employing 15. I rehab and like fixing up
buildings,.

Dont take what I say as being " Correct " its just my opinion and Im
still learning ..

Yes I have a slate roof , Ive also repaired them. Slate quality is
important but in europe there are 1000 yr old buildings with slate,
Slate is the best, roofers often rip off the public on Slate and Tile
tearoffs as each piece can sell for 5- 20 $. Keep your roof fixed ,
slate is good till it discintegrates from age

It is not an uncommon practice to remove a slate roof, make any needed
flashing or valley repairs, and then put the same slate back up with
new nails, etc. The slate itself can last almost indefinitely. Its all
the copper flashing and nails that give out every 75 years or so...

BB

From what I have heard what you say above is often the case, but it
depends on where the slate came from. I've heard that slate from this
region lasts usually between 70 to 150 years on a roof depending on the
specific vein. There are other regions that produce harder slate (south
central PA, New Hampshire, etc.) that lasts several hundred years or
more. I was more interested in when to replace the roof in terms of
symptoms since I am relatively sure that my home's slate is in its later
stages of life. In this slate region, 20 years ago over 90% of the homes
had slate roofs. Now it is probably down to 25% with slate roofs as many
of them have failed....

Rob
NE PA