chris French

Default plasterboarding a ceiling

In message , Toby
writes
chris French wrote:
12.5mm board is significantly heavier than 9.5mm (about 25% I
suppose). If you are boarding a ceiling, esp. mostly by yourself,
this makes a big difference.

Suffering from a compressed neck by any chance?

In a similar vein, what are the top tips for plasterboarding a ceiling.
I guess exposed rafters are easier than adding to an existing lath & plaster
one.

I've over-boarded a couple of lath and plaster ceilings -unless lots of
plaster has come away it's not a problem certainly preferable to
pulling it all down, though I accept it is a bit of a bodge i guess.

I have knocked up a couple of T props, which are slightly longer than the
room height. Lean one against the wall to provide a ledge to start from,
lift board, rest on head, stick in other prop, screw in fixings.

That's the sort of thing I do, though just lately - I'm just having
another room done tomorrow I leave it to the plasterers. A couple of
blokes who do it all the time can have the ceiling boarded in no time
and it doesn't really add very much to the final bill.

--
Chris French, Leeds