John Rumm

Ah. That gives another clue! The vertical beam you will note has much

more substantial rafters each side than all the others. It also has a

pair of stays from those rafters to the base of the beam.

Don't know if it makes any odds, but those 'big rafters' seem to be
supporting larger beams (spanning the full width of the loft and held
in the brickwork at either side) which in turn support the main
rafters.

It could be the other way round. You have beams that run the full width
of the loft that are fixed into the brickwork at either end. These
support the pair of "A" frames, the A frames susspend the central floor
joists. These floor joists in turn carry the other floor joists.

(its times like this one of those 3D walkaround pictures would come in
handy ;-)

That's the only thing I can think of - very conveniently placed for a
brand new floor me thinks... :-)

I would not worry about the existing holes - compared to the task of
adding a new floor, having two holes available is not going to make much
impact on the total scale of the work. If you need to fix beams to the
wall these can be hung from a heavy shoe that is bolted to the wall:-

(In true Blue Peter tradition - here is one I made earlier)

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/shoe.jpg

That is the left hand end of beam F as shown on this plan view:-

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/beam-layout.gif

--
Cheers,

John.