BillR

Default Shower advice

Martin wrote:
"BillR" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
I would appreciate some advice on the best type of shower for my new
shower room which will be on the ground floor, with a bathroom
above, the copper hot water storage tank on the same floor as the
bathroom
but in the next room along(bottom of tank is about 1.1 m above
shower height), the cold water tank is in the attic(bottom of tank
is about
4.36 m above shower height). The types of shower I am looking at are
gravity shower, venturi shower(use mains water supply) or a power
shower.

Thanks

Martin

4.36 is quite a good head for a gravity shower..

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way of calculating the pressure that
4.36m to base of CW tank will give as some shower heads specify low
or high pressure? I'm also doing my bathroom(directly above the
shower room) at the same time and will probably have a shower on the
bath taps, that shower when used at semi standing height in the bath
would be about 2.26m below the base of the cold water tank- it would
be useful if I could calculate the pressure for that also as I am
looking at some ceramic valve taps(Hudson Reed) that specify 0.5 bar
minimum?

Martin
P.S. Are ceramic valves better than screw down valves on taps?

The calculation is easy. 1 bar is approx 10m/30feet of water, so your 4+m
will give nearly 1/2 bar.
That may be adequate shower for many people but shower pumps usually provide
a minimum of 1 bar.
Ceramic valves are better but in my experience you get hopless flow, except
from bath taps, on gravity fed system in a first floor bathroom. I've got
the same type of monoblock tap in a downstairs toilet and in a 1st floor
on-suite. Downstairs its ok but upstairs its poor.