chris French

In message , Charles Middleton
writes

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Charles Middleton

snip excellent idea

IIRC, I used two pieces of strip (one cut down) one above the other
(total height is about 120mm I guess) as strip of the suitable size for
one piece was not flexible enough.

I'm pleased with the final result.

This sounds like a good idea, especially it its only around 120mm of the
floor (so it will look less when I have tiled up to it anyway).

Where did you get the PVC from?

IIRC, I bought it from Wickes. It's the sort of trims used around PVC
windows, should be easy enough to get hold of.

How did you make the join between that and the shower tray nice and neat?

The top edge of the trim has a rounded edge. I smoothed the edge of the
ply base to match as much as possible the tray, and had to scrape away a
little mortar as well (better forward panning would have helped here.)
The trim fits quite nicely against the outer edge of the tray and I just
sealed it with some sealant.

I would want to extend this in a box section down one wall - how far would I
need it to come away from the wall for a shower waste

Not much, assuming 40mm waste, clipped to the wall - say 50 - 60 mm
projection from wall. You just need to leave enough clearance for this
Overall size say about 75mm? . Though you can make it wider and taller
if you want to make it a shelf.

and what's the best
way to make the box section for tiling onto?

for something this small, I'd probably use ply 12mm would probably do,
but if I had 18mm spare I'd use that. Say, fix a bit of batten to the
wall above the waste pipe, either use another batten on the floor, or
those plastic corner joiners to fix an upright strip of ply or suitable
piece of wood to the floor, then make a lid from a strip of ply and
screen it to the wall batten and upright. Prime and then tile.
--
Chris French, Leeds