Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:28:00 GMT, Bill Jeffrey
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

But, didn't he say he thought there was a crystal in the RCA?

Yes, he did. I assume that the crystal oscillator is there simply to
take over in the event of power failure. For "normal" operation, the
power line frequency (or at least aggregate number of cycles over 24
hours) is much more accurate than any cheap crystal oscillator.

I suspect the crystal also provides the clocking for the uP (?) and
LCD. AFAIK, a uP can't get much work done at 50 or 60Hz :-)

- Franc Zabkar