PrecisionMachinisT

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to PrecisionMachinisT :

"dale" wrote in message
Thanks for the tips. I found out that the company no longer has parts
for this so I will have to improvise. I can braze and silver solder

but
I think braze would be better as it would stand more heat. Don't know
even then if it gets red hot as they do on old hot plates that it may
melt brazing. I was thinking of just bolting it together at the

break.
Worth a try I guess. Cant find the wattage but I may look on the
newer models. Thanks Dale

If you need to know the wattage measure the two pieces of old element

with
an ohm meter and then do the math.

A handy calculator :

http://www.minco.com/support/ohm.php

A section of replacement element for a clothes dryer might work

well........

Ah, to a certain extent, yes. But if you try to shorten the length

dramatically
while keeping the same voltage, you'll probably burn out the element.

Even
with active and tightly coupled thermostatic control (an "antique" may not

have
such a thermal cutout let alone thermostatic control) the lifetime will

probably
be dramatically shortened.

Heater wire has a positive temperature-resistance coefficient. Which

means,
as the temperature goes up, the resistance does too, _tending_ to

self-regulate
power consumption and keep the temperature constant even with reasonably
minor voltage variation. Which means that the cold resistance is often

very much
different than operating resistance, and depending on the composition of

the heater
wire, the old coil might have the same resistance as the new coil when

cold, but have
radically different resistance at operating temperatures.

[Tungsten lightbulb filaments do the same thing, but not as dramatically

as
traditional nichrome heater wire.]

The best way to measure operating resistance (assuming nowhere on the

device is
a plate saying what the wattage is) is to somehow get the breaks fixed
temporarily, fire it up, measure operating current, and do the resistance
calculation _then_. But keep in mind that's the hot resistance, not cold.

Reducing the length of a dryer element is presuming that the dryer wattage

is
_lower_ than the corn popper (unlikely). Halving the length of the dryer
element doubles the wattage and quadruples the heat output per inch

(assuming
constant resistance, which it really isn't, but...). Given how they

engineer these
things with relatively close design tolerances (higher wire guage costs

money),
I'd expect the lifetime to be shortened no matter how good (the likely

non-existant)
thermostatic control is.

So, the most convenient yet reasonably inexpensive method of replacement

would
be to find a dryer element that roughly matches in length and wattage.

If it turns out that the OP can only find a dryer element with double the

wattage
and roughly double the length, he could cut it in half and rewire the
corn popper for 120V.

He could probably obtain the nichrome wire himself and wind his own
heater coil easily enough. I'm _sure_ there's web sites that show you
how to design heater coils using nichrome wire, ie: how to select wire
gauge for given desired lengths, wattages and supply voltages. But
I haven't looked for any such sites.

Chris,

Nice post.

--