Bob Eager

Default henly blocks with seals

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:52:12 UTC, (Mark) wrote:

I have a couple of henley blocks on my incoming electrics board
located after the meter. The henley blocks have seals on them. (The
incoming electrics run through the meter, through henley blocks to the
CU)
I need to change my consumer unit, so I would like to open the henly
blocks up and connect the new CU tails.

Is it illegal to open these seals even though they are placed after
the meter?

MY feeling is that in a lot of cases, Henley blocks have seals put on
them 'because there is a place for them'.

However, you make no mention of any isolator, so I would guess that they
are there to make people think twice about opening them, since there is
no real way of making them 'dead' short of pulling the main fuse. It is
dangerous to work on the tails live, the problems not just being with
shock, etc.

Of course, if you're pulling the main fuse anyway, that's different (but
that would be breaking a seal too, and you didn't mention that one). The
general consensus seems to be that the leccy board don't worry much
about it these days.

Again, you could have an isolator immediately after the meter, but you
don't mention it.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...