Jon Elson

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

That is because they are macho studs who are obviously super-humanly
impervious to the affects of UV.

I am sure they will enjoy their melanomas in their later years.

TIG is the least hazardous arc welding method with very little UV
emitted.
There is still enough to give you a nasty sunburn.

Man, Ernie, you aren't kidding! Before I got my welding jacket, I
got a nasty sunburn through TWO layers of clothes! I couldn't believe
it! I've never had that happen when stick welding. Uncovered skin
could get a burn, but not THROUGH the clothes. With the TIG, it
actually seemed that the skin behind the 2 layers of clothes got a much
more severe burn than that behind one layer. This may have been due
to the part covered by two layers never seeing the sun, while the
part not covered by my regular shirt gets sun when I'm outside, and
was less sensitive. I was kind of freaked out by this burn, which
went from armpit to armpit, and collarbone to navel.

You don't need a heavy leather jacket, just a long sleeved shirt to
block the light.

I don't believe this, and wear a stifling welding jacket and cover
anything else with heavy overalls or something similar. I don't want
to repeat that sunburn! At least, you need a heavy cloth material, not
just a lightweight permanent press summer shirt type material. My
welding jacket is not leather (good to prevent thermal burns) but has a
bunch of layers of different fabrics in in, maybe 4 or 5 layers total.

Every time you get a sunburn you increase your risk of skin cancer.
Arc welding emits much more hazardous wavelengths of UV than you get
from sunlight.

No kidding. There isn't much Ozone layer in the 18" from arc to skin!

Jon