mikes News

Thank you!

I tried out the lathe yesterday on a small bowl... the biggest drawback
about the lathe is as you guessed... the tool rest.... I thought about
buying an aftermarket tool rest I found on the woodcraft web page... its
expensive but has lots of accessories available... what do you folks
think...

Perhaps as you suggested I could have this banjo reamed out to accept these
accessories and tool rest?

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Just in case you decide to change the tool rest, the diameter of the stem

is
25 mm. Since it's a Jet 1236 clone, I would have expected it to be 1 inch,
but if you want interchangability, you'll need to ream out the banjo.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX
====================
"dave in fairfax" wrote in message
Anonymous wrote:
snipped with interspersed replies:

After looking around on my own for about 15 minutes, I asked the
salesperson at my local HF if they sold them. She said "No, but I can

give
you an 800 number you can call." To my way of seeing things, this

means
that the local store doesn't carry them.

I should have been more specific. If you call the order number
you can order them based on your lathe model and serial numbers.

Since the headstock thread and the Morse tapers are commonly used

sizes,
though, whether HF carries them or not is no more than a minor

annoyance.
I found a decent 4-jaw independent chuck at Sears for a very

reasonable
$60

Frequently the threads are non-standard for lathes, sounds like
you lucked out.

I'm not slamming anyone. I don't expect every store to carry every

item
might need at a price I'll be bragging about years from now. However,

expected that HF would have a display of lathe accessories located

near
where the lathes are displayed ... and my local store does not. Two
aisles over they have turning tool sets. I found them, bought them
and like them. However, waiting 6 weeks for something to be delivered

is
simply not acceptable when UPS/FedEx can reliably give 2-7 day

delivery
between any two points on the face of the planet. If there is that

great
of a time lag then it would appear that HF is waiting for (literally)

the
'slow boat from China" to arrive.

The stores have about 40% of the catalog on hand. The extra lathe
parts are ordered from China as needed. That accounts for the lag
time.

I'll probably get over to Woodcraft to buy some lathe cutting tools

pretty
soon and possibly even a better tool post. The squared edges on my

large
skew are chewing my toolrest up. I've had to file the nicks out of
the toolrest a couple times already: I am almost irritated enough to

shell
out the moola for a rounded edge skew and a hardened steel toolrest.
Another couple weeks of playing 'stick & slide' with the skew should

just
about have me 'in a mood'. That's when I'll get the skew AND the

toolrest.
:-) (Although I really only need one or the other!)

You may have problems finding a toolrest that will fit your banjo,
again it depends on the individual lathe.

My general impression of Woodcraft is that they are on the pricey side

for
a lot of what they carry ... but they carry a lot of stuff not

otherwise
available locally. They've got a roughing gouge that looks like it was
made for use with a 30 h.p. lathe to make telephone poles. My former
brother-in-law is the lathe instructor there so they can't be ALL bad.

;-)
They are pricey, but frequently they are the only choice around.
That roughing gouge is impressive when used properly.

Enjoy your new lathe.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader