American Mechanical

Alt.hvac removed from crosspost.

"Joe Shlabotnick" wrote in message
. ..
Is the variable speed DC blower motor on the Carrier Infinity 96 gas

furnace
worth the premium of $800+ (Cdn) that I've been quoted over Carrier's
Performance 93 unit with the multi-speed AC blower motor?

Yep.

I understand that the DC blower motor consumes much less electricity than
the AC motor. But if I intend to run the blower at low-speed continuous
only during the heating season, how long would it take me to earn back the
increased cost in electricity savings?

A long time. Be more concerned about the comfort, humidity control, and
quiet operation.

Is the Infinity unit really much quieter in operation than the Performance
unit?

The VS is much quieter.

Any other factors I should take into account in deciding whether or not to
splurge on the Infinity?

Your contractor should be able to provide you with information and answer
your questions. Visit carrier's website for more specifications on the
models you're looking at.

- Robert

Any advice anyone can provide would be appreciated.