Dan Gravell

Default Heavy rainfall last night = wet cellar floor

Hi all. My partner has just phoned me with the news that the carpeted
floor of our cellar is wet through. Last night in London we had very
heavy rain which makes me think that this must be connected, rather than
having some leaking plumbing or similar.

We are in the process of removing all "stuff" from the floor of the
cellar to allow it to dry, and opening the door to get what ventilation
we can down there.

The walls of the cellar are lined with painted plywood looking material.
The floor is carpeted as said, above a (fairly imperfect, i.e. not level
and possibly cracked) concrete floor. I've noticed some damp and mould
growing before but I've treated it with simple cleaning before. I don't
know the details of how the floor was treated.

Clearly I would like to avoid this happening again. As a DIY newbie I
don't really know the first place to look. Any advice?

Thanks, Dan