Jim Wilson

Doug Winterburn wrote...

Anyone worked with this stuff to know if it is worth saving for lumber
or turning?

I turned some (green) this past summer to see what it was like. Seeing as
how you and I live pretty close to each other, I'll guess that we're
talking about similar species.

On my sample, the heartwood (very dark and pretty, BTW) was significantly
harder than the white sapwood. However, the pith was very soft and
spongy. My turning was from a whole branch, and I got into the pith in a
couple places where the turning was narrow. That pretty much ruined the
turning.

Looking at the woodpile where the rest of the larger pieces went, I see
some moderate checking on the ends, but no bad splits. This has been
drying since May. All of it is under four inches in diameter, and none
was waxed, as it is intended for firewood.

That bodes pretty well as far a movement goes. I suspect lumber taken
carefully from larger stock would turn very nicely, green or dry. And
that sealed and dried properly, the lumber would make a pretty box or
other small project.

Jim