Norman D. Crow

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:25:08 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
calmly ranted:

"Depends", says the old farm kid who was subjected to the
indignation of electric fences on numerous occasions.

"Depends" are what you need after trying out an electric fence
that way? I thought so and was too smart to take the dare
every time.

Either way, makes for a good joke, but YOU try it, I'll
pass.

Some time back in Minnesota a neighbor asked for help putting up
his hay. Being a dumb computer geek who didn't know just how out
of condition I was, I said: "Sure."

By noon my hands were raw and my eyes were burning. We piled off
in the yard by the barn; and I found a nice shady spot and a
place where I could lean back to rest a bit while he zipped into
the house. A few minutes later his wife came out with a *big*
tray of tall iced teas - looked at me and started to laugh
almost hysterically. She almost dropped the tray and did manage
to spill a lot of the tea.

When she calmed down she asked (still giggling) how I was holding
up to farm work. Told her I was hot and sweaty but otherwise
doing ok, at which point she disolved into laughter again; but
this time everyone was laughing (except me, 'cause I didn't know
what was so incredibly funny). It was her husband who let me know
that the fence I was draped against was "hot".

I never even noticed.

If you had on some good thick-soled sneakers or decent boots, they might
have done the insulation.

I can remember being around 10 yr. old, walking along thefence with my
Uncle, me being barefoot, him in rubber boots, and all of a sudden he'd grab
my hand with one of his, and the fence with his other hand. WOW! I do NOT
like electric shock. Of course, he would also check to see if the fence was
working by grabbing the wire in one hand and digging the fingers of his
other hand into the grass or dirt. Not me!

--
Nahmie