sam

My husband and I have an old (160 years) barn on our property. We're
interested in having it removed. We've received some quotes (high $$)
but one of the contractors suggested that we might find an
organization interested in dismantling it in exchange for the
materials.

We live in Massachusetts -- does anyone have any leads on this sort of
thing? I've done a bit of Googling and will continue ("dismantling
old barns" "salvaging old wood") but was also hoping for a dead on
lead.

Thanks in advance,
Sara

Around here (northern VT), there are several local types who make their
living taking apart unwanted buildings for salvage at no cost. I doubt they
would be willing to travel out of state though. They usually don't
advertise and keep a low profile. I would try asking around some more for
someone in your area. Try asking at antique stores or the like that sell
refurbished materials. Stopping by a residential construction site and
asking some of the guys might also turn up someone.

Good luck.

-samofvt