Chet Hayes

"SQLit" wrote in message news:RCNUc.69098$Lj.17629@fed1read03...
"Jessica W" jessica.waldrop@qgdotcom wrote in message
I need help! I have a hot tub that was given to me that was broke.

I bought a pump for $200 and got someone to hook it up, that was not a
electrician, Somehow it would only run from a extension cord and it would
cut off if you ran it from the box they put on my wall.

It can run! I seen it! I just will not heat up.

So I got two more dummies to come look at it and one said that the box

with
all the wires was not good I needed another one and I should have bought a
new tub altogether....

the other one said it was the wire running from the tub to the box ( which
is side 8-? he said I needed a 12-? )to run from the box on the wall to

the
box on the tub......which that would be $50 for that wire. Then he would
charge me $100 to put it on and was not sure if that was even the

problem..

I do not see what all this has to do with getting it to heat up. What
should I do? I have spent more than $400 on this hot tub not including the
concrete. I cant find a local hot tub repair. I have all kinds of

uncertain
people telling me I need to buy more stuff for it .....I probably do not
need. It has been sitting in my back yard for several months and now I

have
tadpoles living in it.....

Any suggestions very much appreciated

I have posted this before and someone gave me a diagram of a wiring
guide...But I know nothing about electricity!

From your description and making some assumptions. The tub's wiring is not
proper.
If the pump runs off of an extension cord. To me that is an dead give away
that the grounding and gfci are not working properly.
Most spas I have worked on require the pump to run before the heater will
come on. The switch that makes this happen is called a flow switch. There
are LOTS of electrical connections to make all of this happen.
I suggest that you get a hold of an pool contractor or an real electrician.
Be prepared for some possible bad news. You might need a new heater. Free is
not always a good price.

I agree, he needs a pro, which shouldn't be hard to find, as spas are
sold everywhere. This isn't something you can diagnose long distance
and it isn't something to fool around with if you don't know what
you're doing. I sure wouldn't get into a spa with AC wiring that some
clueless amature fiddled with. And perhaps before calling a pro, a
simple evaluation of the spa is in order, like how old it is, what
shape it appears to be in, what else appears to be wrong with it, how
long it's likely to last, etc.