Jay Windley

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

| and (I've heard but haven't confirmed) at least one state who
| actually enacted a statute defining pi to be exactly three.

Tennessee, and only in Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land." It
didn't actually happen. The Indiana story is true enough, but it has
spawned numerous spurious copycat stories that are standard April Fool's Day
fare. Heinlein's is just the most immediately credible. The state in
question is always some state presumed inhabited by rustics. But no state
in the U.S. has ever had a law passed legislating the value of pi. Indiana
came close.

--Jay