Bob Schmall

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
om...
Wreckers,

I'm working on a (two-piece) hutch for SWMBO, and I've been
considering the options for joining the bottom/frame to the top unit.
(Note: I'm not talking about attaching the flat surface to the base
unit; that's something I always do with glue-blocks.)

I DAGS and found the usual options. Use a connector on the back
(figure-eight or the "stacking connector" like LV carries), use a
dowel-pin and let gravity do its job, or use a cleat or fastener to
attach from the inside. I had also considered cutting mortise into
the top of the base unit and tenoning the frame members of the top to
fit, but that seems like a lot of work for very little advantage to be
gained.

So, do any of youse have actual experience with the various
methods? Would you care to point out some gotchas to be aware of or
simply suggest your favorite options?

At this point I'm leaning a bit towards the connector method, and
maybe cutting some molding to dress up (i.e., *cover* up) where the
two units meet. But I'm struggling a bit with it because I tend to be
a traditionalist (read: Neanderthal) and use metal fasteners only as a
last resort.

Dear Cro-Magnon person:

I have a workbench with a 1 3/4" maple top joined to the botom by gravity
and located by dowels. For everything except the most vigorous hand planing
it's just fine, and then it just walks a little but doesn't separate. A
hutch is subject to rather less force, so why not let nature rule?
I'm also building a two-piece unit, in this case a stereo cabinet. I plan to
let Mr. Einstein's gravity do the work here as well. What could be more
natural?

Disclaimer: I have used tailed tools in the commission of this project. Will
a security guard come and kneel on my chest?

Bob

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chuck Vance