Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:50:51 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
. ..

There is *NOTHING* you can do on a PC that you cannot do on a Mac.

You can still put a floppy in s a new PC. :~)

Hum...depends on what you call "new". It has been
about a year now that if I wanted a floppy drive on the systems
I have built that I have to specifically request it. The days
when 1.4 meg was big enough for almost anything are long
gone. While it is still possible to put some documents
and such on a single floppy, so many of them bloat out to
several meg so quickly, it is not even funny.
As an example...I ran into a 2 page newsletter (front
and back of ONE sheet of paper) that was in Publisher format
(ok...ok...I KNOW it is M$ and therefore by definition bloated).
The files for the various issues ran from a small size of over
5 meg up to 15 meg. Now, while they did have a bunch of images,
that seemed a bit big to me. When I converted them to PDF
format, they DID shrink down to under a meg, in most cases...
but that still would leave one newsletter per floppy only.
With the massive price drop in CDRW drives and media,
it only makes sense these days to drop the floppy and go with
CD. Zip drives used to be useful too, but, again...limited to
250 meg (a great improvement, but still tending to fill up quickly).
Regards
Dave Mundt