Andy Hall

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:14:22 +0100, "Andy Wade"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

Any opinions on, and experiences with, Rustin's Flexterior
(http://www.rustins.co.uk/ext_coat.html#fl_ext) on external oak?

Yes. I used that on the front doorstep, also oak.

The reason was to provide a high degree of protection to the step,
because, although I could train the kids not to step on it and mark
it, doing so with their friends was not as succesful.

It does have quite a high gloss, so I would not use it on a large area
like a complete door - it would make it look like plastic. For the
step it was a trade off.

The main oiled area of the door has a rich colour similar to some
kinds of clear honey, whereas the Flexterior on the step has fixed it
at its original colour. I did the Flexterior three years ago and it
has done a really good job. Part of the step is in full sun for part
of the day, and there is no sign of deterioration.

When I redo it, I will probably strip the lot off and lightly stain
the step which is more the colour of cloudy honey.

I used four coats of Flexterior, thinning the first and then *very*
lightly sanding between coats. You do need to allow a good 24hrs
between coats because it has a long drying time. It seems to take
about 2 hours to get to the point where arriving insects don't get
stuck in it.

If you are looking for good durability, I would definitely recommend
this product, but as I say, not on a large area if you want the wood
to look at all natural.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl