Swingman

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

At this point I'm leaning a bit towards the connector method, and
maybe cutting some molding to dress up (i.e., *cover* up) where the
two units meet. But I'm struggling a bit with it because I tend to be
a traditionalist (read: Neanderthal) and use metal fasteners only as a
last resort.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The "traditional" method, at least what I see most of around here, is to
simply let gravity/friction do the job with two piece furniture like
hutches. AAMOF, we have two hutches in the house, factory made and not
inexpensive, and both went with this philosophy, with nothing but gravity
and friction to "join" them..

That said, I used trim along the sides of the piece, attached to the bottom
unit only, on my last similar two piece project ... mainly to help keep
alignment, as it had drawers and there was a tendency to move backward with
the closing of the drawers.

My preference is that if there is no need for joining the pieces, as above,
I go with the simplest (read gravity) method consistent with the design of
the piece.

Just my tuppence ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net