Martin Rost

SNIP
I'll probably get over to Woodcraft to buy some lathe cutting tools pretty
soon and possibly even a better tool post. The squared edges on my large
skew are chewing my toolrest up. I've had to file the nicks out of
the toolrest a couple times already: I am almost irritated enough to shell
out the moola for a rounded edge skew and a hardened steel toolrest.
Another couple weeks of playing 'stick & slide' with the skew should just
about have me 'in a mood'. That's when I'll get the skew AND the toolrest.
:-) (Although I really only need one or the other!)

Bill,
You can ease the edges of the skew. Use a belt sander or grinder, and
just slightly grind the edges. That should reduce the digging into the
toolrest.
Martin