mikes News

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for your feedback and tell you
about my day with the lathe... and make comment about some of your
remarks...

After spending the best part of the day assembling my lathe... including
building a sand box that is mounted under the bottom struts, toped with a
shelf on top of the bottom strut... placed another piece of wood on the
back of the lathe (end to end) which extends 13 inches up from the bottom
shelf... a second smaller (narrower) shelf was added end to end just about 8
inches under the lathe... I used 3/4 Formica covered particle board
(HEAVY!) for all, (gave me a place to hang and lay my stuff and after
adding 3 bags of sand in the sand box... it took away all movement out of
the stand ... thing is rock solid...

As for the comment about the wobble... I placed the face plate that came
with the lathe on and noted a small amount of wobble... switched to some of
my JET accessories... and had NO wobble...

Was excited to find out that all my accessories for my JET (which I have
used extensively for 2.5 years... before that I had a sears mono tube.... )
before that... 2 or three others... been turning since I was a kid in my
grandfathers shop... I am now 51

Onaway talon church- super nova chuck... screw chucks, face plates Jacobs
chuck, Mini Expanding Chuck.... everything fits ( #2 Morris taper and 1x8
threads) my pen mandrels... etc.

Head Center and point on the tail live match perfectly...

I did have to do a little adjustments on the tail stock and tool rest...
tighten better now... all in all I think I will like the unit...

tomorrow I will take a sanding disk to the bed... get out all the machined
marks and Wax it good with good old turtle wax... then buff the bed.

While I am at it... I will dress the tool rest with a file and wax it
also... A few strokes with a file and the tool rest will be slick as a
whistle...

As for turning tools... Do we ever have enough? I lived near Woodcraft
store in CA I was pulling down killer $$ (and some crowns) I wanted the
whole set of Sorbys... I bought at least one per week for ... a while... I
told my wife that if I die she can sell them all off on eBay... :O) go a
long way towards her retirement... I agree with the Comment about them being
made of gold... at least your would think so considering the prices
woodcraft charges(and some crowns) and Misc. as well as a good assortment
of home made stuff... ... anyway... I am probably set for life with turning
tools...

I just wanted a bigger lathe for bigger natural edged bowls and segmented
bowls, and to make that new four poster my wife has been asking for... Now
on Disability and trying to live cheep in the mid west...Did not want to
spend the $ for a quality lathe... figured that with some after market
accessories and a few upgrades... this one would suffice... most of my
turning will likely still be on the Jet...

Thanks for the information about the belts... I will do the switch to the
link belts when these go...

Mike
------------------------------

the only think I am not excited about is the slowness in going from fast
speed to slow...
"dave in fairfax" wrote in message
Anonymous wrote:
I am not too happy that HF does not carry any further lathe accessories
such as faceplates, collet chucks, deep hole gouges and so on.
Woodcraft carries an impressive selection of turning tools. However, I
doubt if they will cut very well as they all seem to be made of some

sort
of gold.

Take another look, HF does sell faceplates and chucks for your
lathe. It'll take about 6 weeks for them to arrive so order them
now. Get a couple of spur drives and toolrests while you're at
it. Woodcraft sells Crown tools which give a pretty bang:buck
ratio.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader