Harry K

"Terry" wrote in message ...
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
(Harry K) wrote:

-snip-
Only someone who has not spit much wood or used one of those toys
would even suggest using it. Anything one of those will split will
split easier and a lot faster using an ax or maul. Just watch one of
the video demonstrations.

I agree. The video they show at
http://www.thestickler.com/ has a guy
splitting a chunk of wood that I'd split a lot faster with a felling
axe, let alone a splitting axe or maul. Looks like oak or ash--
straight grained as can be & it takes the guy 5 minutes to block it
up. Granted, he won't break a sweat with his method, and I can't
split well sitting down. . . . but if I were that old/tired/lazy
[which I am] I'd switch to a propane stove. [which I did]

If they want to sell them--- and they are up to the task-- then split
some elm--- or at least some gnarly forks.

Jim

I can just visualize myself driving down the road with a big lump of spruce
or fir screwed firmly onto the 'splitter' attached to and sticking out from
the rear wheel of my pickup! Oh, oh! Flashing red and blue lights ...... got
to go .......
"Well constable; you see I was trying to .............................. but
the chunk of wood covers the wheel nuts ...... and .... I couldn't get the
wheel off!" :-)

OOPS. I was refering to the hydraulic jack types. They are nothing
but rip-offs and I bet not one was used more than once after purchase.

As for the Stickler. I wouldn't use one or even be around one being
used do to the danger.

Harry K