kcskypilot

I would say there is no goof here. This is an excellent starter lathe! It is
also the same one that Grizzly sells but much cheaper at that sale price.

I also have this same lathe. I've turned a redheart walking cane with a
captive ring for my wife, several bowls, a gavel and sound block, and close
to a hundred pens. I've been extremely pleased with this lathe and would
purchase it again if I needed another one. I agree with one person's
comments about the belts wearing quickly. I solved that issue by purchasing
the link style belt system that Rockler http://www.rockler.com sells. This
one is lasting much, MUCH, longer. Also if you are looking for accessories,
You are in luck! The headstock spindle can either accept a 1-8 thread which
is standard or a #2 Morris Taper insert which is also standard. The best and
most affordable place I have found accessories for my lathe is Penn State
Industries. http://www.pennstateind.com If you are going to turn pens,
however, I would go to Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com and buy their pen
mandrel which is usually only 9.95 instead of 19.95 like everyone else.

FYI
If you are in Indy, Woodcraft has a store there and they also started
carrying Solid Surface pen blanks like Corian and Gemstone.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.17.20.52.18.348712@notarealserver .com...
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:09:52 -0500, mikes News wrote:

Hello all

Well I did it... I just bought a new laithe...

Its a harbor freight....

(clip)

does any one have any feedback on this unit and did I make a mistake?

I recently bought this lathe. Like another poster mentioned, I bought
cheap knowing it was cheap. No apologies there ... I'm a newbie and I'm
not about to drop $5,000 into a top of the line tool until I know for
certain if I will get $5,000 worth of use out of it. So far, so good ...
but not $5,000 worth yet. I just turned my first goblet and took it into
work for some of my co-workers to look at. If I hadn't priced it at $70 I
could have sold it today ... so the lathe is capable of producing quality
work. (Rim is .080" thick)

Like another poster, I also don't like the 'low' speed. Pay extra
attention to your mounting firmness and cutting style if you are going to
do larger work on this lathe.

I think you'll be wanting to get a better tool rest fairly soon. There
are tiny nicks in mine that came from the factory and the tool rest is so
soft that it is very easy to put fresh tool-grabbing nicks in it. That is
the only 'quality' problem I have noticed so far, although I took the
guard off the pulley mechanism last night to see how it works (and
investigate putting a stronger / slower motor on) and I can already, after
about a month, see wear on the belt. The speed is controlled by using
adjustable size pulleys and where the pulleys mesh, they appear to be
wearing on the edge of the belt. I think there were some sharp edges left
on the pulleys and I think that this first belt will knock them down so
that the next belt should last quite a bit longer.

That said, I like it. It is my first lathe (btw, I'm 52). I wish it
weighed more but I help that out by stacking lumber on the table strut for
ballast.

I bought the $29 set of HSS tools and like them (so far). I ALSO bought
the smaller, 3 chisel set, and like it, too. There is probably enough
steel in them that I'll learn how to sharpen my edges before I need to buy
new tools. :-)

I am not too happy that HF does not carry any further lathe accessories
such as faceplates, collet chucks, deep hole gouges and so on.

Woodcraft carries an impressive selection of turning tools. However, I
doubt if they will cut very well as they all seem to be made of some sort
of gold.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)