Andrew McKay

Default Cooker hood wiring

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:17:28 +0100, "John Greenwood"
wrote:

Install a 13A socket behind the cooker hood which will be completely hidden.
The cooker hood will be plugged into this. The socket will be connected to a
visible FCU at worktop level. The FCU being on the kitchen ring circuit.

I think I might be a little concerned about the environment that would
exist behind the cooker hood. By virtue of the fact it is a cooker
hood one expects the general area to get a bit warm, and maybe laced
with condensation/steam and other environmentally unfriendly options.

That probably doesn't make it a problem for the regs as such, but page
2 of Electrical Commonsense #101 might apply.

The other issue I would raise in this situation is that if you needed
to take the power off that cooker hood fast, do you intend that the
cooker hood has to be stripped before the mains to it can be
disconnected? If so, that doesn't sound like an ideal situation. It'll
be a right royal pain in the butt if the fuse to the cooker hood blows
and you've got to take the whole thing apart to check it out!

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk