Mark Webb

In article ,
(Mary Fisher) wrote:

When we moved here the original (1937) washbasin was here, with its
pedestal. I used to worry because you could see air (as it were)
between the
pedestal and basin. Spouse said the pedestal was just there to hide the
pipes and had no supporting function. since then I looked at others, all
pedestals seem to be for cosmetic (modesty) reasons. Washbasins were
always
firmly held by wall brackets.

Mary

I suspected as much, although I seem to recall the non-pedestal type as
being supported on steel/iron brackets beneath. The pedestal variety
obviously have none and consequently must have a heck of a lot of leverage
on the wall when full of water.

Mark W.