Adam

Allen Epps wrote in news:170820040850335393%
:
What type of flooring is it? Many times when I sand pine floors it's not
the finish but the sap (or pitch or resin or whatever you want to call
it) that gums up my discs. When I run into this I usually rough edge
with 16 grit paper then go back over it with your final grit.
Adam

All,
Although perhaps better ask in the alt.homeimprovement group I'm more
active here. I'm in the process of refinishing the wood floors in our
1924 Dutch Colonial and whatta mess. Actually the drum sander works
really well but the edge sander is melting the old finish and I'm
getting maybe 6 linear feet per 40 grit pad before they become
unusable. Wondered what folks thought that old finish was? I was
thinking shellac since that's what I found when I stripped the doors.
Although shellac doesn't strike me as durable enough for floors.

It's pretty well worn in spots but pretty good in others and has been
covered with lovely blue shag carpeting for quite a while before
we moved in. I only have one room left to do but just curious.

Allen
Catonsville, MD