Frank J. Russo

My first lathe came from HF. 14" x 42"

Wasn't sure I would stay interested in turning so I bought cheap knowing it
was cheap. That was 2 1/2 years ago. I replace the belt on it once and
that is it. Still turning.

I did learn from it what I liked and didn't and what I wanted in a good
lathe.

Frank
Havelock, NC

"mikes News" wrote in message
Hello all

Well I did it... I just bought a new laithe...

Its a harbor freight....

12'' x 33-3/8'' WOOD LATHE WITH REVERSIBLE HEAD
Pivoting headstock for extra-large bowl turning capacity. Headstock

rotates
and locks in position at 45°, 90°, 135°, and 180°. Includes stand, tool
rest, drive center, 6'' disc, and Allen wrenches.
a.. Swing over bed: 12''
b.. Motor: 3/4 HP, 120V, 60 Hz
c.. Speeds: 600, 750, 910, 1080, 1260, 1460, 1680, 1910, 2150, and 2400
RPM
d.. Turning distance between centers: 33-3/8"
e.. Shipping weight: 184 lbs.

Item #: 34706-3VGA
take a look see... tell me if you think I blew it?

I have a jet mini... wanted something larger for lager boles and longer
turnings...

I was in harbor freight store in Indy... looking around tonight... saw

this
lathe... its super heavy duty... (nearly 200 lb.) my wife wants a new

turned
four poster bed... (how I justified the new lathe)

Note: it has an extension for the bed that is designed to go behind the
headstock... but I think I can make a stand for it the same height as the
main bed and be able to turn 7 foot post for the bed and 8 foot turned 4x4
post for the front porch railing she wants

not as nice and smooth a finish as some of the high dollar lathes I have
looked at but it looks to be well made. But the price is what got my
attention...

normally $279. was on sale for $169. including the table...

I figure that with the $19 extended warranty... I have 15 months to play
with it... and can return it NO QUESTIONS asked for a new one... so I

bit...

does any one have any feedback on this unit and did I make a mistake?

Now I just have to get up early in the morning and go take the thing out

of
the box and assemble it.

can't wait... like a 51 year old kid on new years eve....

Mike