Jim Elbrecht

(Harry K) wrote:

-snip-
Only someone who has not spit much wood or used one of those toys
would even suggest using it. Anything one of those will split will
split easier and a lot faster using an ax or maul. Just watch one of
the video demonstrations.

I agree. The video they show at
http://www.thestickler.com/ has a guy
splitting a chunk of wood that I'd split a lot faster with a felling
axe, let alone a splitting axe or maul. Looks like oak or ash--
straight grained as can be & it takes the guy 5 minutes to block it
up. Granted, he won't break a sweat with his method, and I can't
split well sitting down. . . . but if I were that old/tired/lazy
[which I am] I'd switch to a propane stove. [which I did]

If they want to sell them--- and they are up to the task-- then split
some elm--- or at least some gnarly forks.

Jim