Dan Thomas

John Smith wrote:
I have a chance to pick up an older Bobcat. I don't know anything about
these but they look like fun. It has no engine, original V4 Wisconsin is in
junkyard.
I need to know if anyone has heard of putting a small water cooled auto
engine in one of these? I was thinking of a 3 cyl. Pontiac firefly.
What makes the wheels go? I have assumed that there is a hydraulic motor on
each side that drives the chains I saw under the cover plates.
Someone said that there is clutches and transmissions? I don't think so but
I know nothing. I only guessed hydraulic motors because it seems the ez way
to do it. Any help would be appreciated.- Thanks

The newer Bobcats have hydraulic drive, but the oldest machines
had clutches and sprockets and a lot of troublesome stuff. Not nearly
as easy or precise to maneuver as the hydraulic units, and one forward
speed: slow. If it had an aircooled Wisconsin in it, it might be the
clutch & sprocket type. I don't know when they made the changeover;
perhaps in the mid-70s or so.

Dan