Joe Fabeitz

The good news is that all this piping is PVC and the other good news is you
have plenty of access to it.

For clean out, consider cutting the PVC a few inches above the "tee" (that's
the fitting that is touching the floor). You can use a hack saw or buy a
pliers-like tool designed for this purpose. Once cut, you should be able to
snake a coat hanger downward into the pipe and clear the stoppage. Buy a
PVC coupling to mend the cut ends once you are successful. Normally, pieces
of PVC are joined together with a solvent applied to both pieces but in this
case, since the pipes are not under any pressure, I'd consider not using any
solvent. That way, if the clog returns, you can just separate the PVC pipe
at the coupling and have at it again.

Correcting the drainage problem will be a bit more work. Option #1 is to
fly me out there from Atlanta and we'll fix it together.

Seriously, Option #2 is to raise the water heater (and pan) just a bit.
Typically you would drain the heater (perhaps) and assuming the connections,
gas, water and vent allow, slide a piece of 3/4" plywood under the pan.

Option #3 is to modify that "tee" ( another use for that hacksaw) so it is
lower than the water heater pan. It's unclear if you have access underneath
the tee fitting.

"Bill Schnakenberg" wrote in message
Ringo Langly wrote:

Hi everyone,

My house has the inside A/C unit in the hallway with the drain pipe
going down into the foundation where it comes out on the side of the

clip

Take care,

- Ringo -

First, your links are broken because you put a space between the URL's
double slashes and the numbers.
It should be http://24.162.137.108/~rlangly/pics/pipe1.jpg and
http://24.162.137.108/~rlangly/pics/pipe2.jpg

You say the drain pipe runs out to the side of the house. Is the end of
the AC drain pipe exposed, or does it run into some other drain or sewer
pipe?
It may be obstructed near the end by dirt, debris, or an insect nest,
like a wasp's. If you can find the end, you may be able to run a stiff
wire up into the pipe to break up, or dislodge whatever is in there (I
keep an old CB car antenna handy for jobs like this). A sudden flood of
water will indicate success.