nemofish wrote:
We have two rooms seperated by about 60m within a large complex. I have
recently run a telephone extention cable between the two rooms and now
need to buy a couple of phones but I'm not sure which kind to get. I need
to be able to accept calls in both rooms and have the ability to transfer
a call between the two phones. I also need to have an answerphone
facility on one of the phones.

Can anyone advise on what type of phones will meet my requirements?

Starting again from the beginning of the thread as I think I now
understand what you want.

I doubt a DECT system is going to work well for you as the two phones
will be separated by 60 metres inside a building and thus will be just
too far apart to work with a single DECT base station. If you have
two DECT base stations and register both phones with both base
stations I don't think that helps. If you receive a call on one phone
I don't think most DECTs can keep that call when they transfer to
another base station, even if they can it'll be a bit messy from the
button pressing point of view.

I can think of a couple of possible answers:-

1 - Put a single DECT base station half way between the two rooms,
this will require you to add another socket but you don't have to
leave a phone on that base. It can even be inaccessible high up on
a wall (might give better range there). Buy an extra charger/base
to accomodate the phone from the base station in one of the rooms
instead.

Come to think of it this means you didn't need to wire the
extension to one of the rooms!

2 - Get a DECT 'repeater', these extend the range by up to 50 metres
indoors, 300 metres out of doors. Put the DECT base station in
one of the rooms, place the repeater about half way and then you
just need a charger and DECT phone in the other room. This makes
your wiring between the rooms completely redundant!

If you're going for a DECT solution it's worth checking carefully that
you will get the range you need inside the building, metal frames etc.
may well mean that the range is nowhere near 50 metres.

--
Chris Green