JohnF

Sorry I left out key info. The garage is detached and is approx 50' from
the main house panel . It is a 240V line; the wire is #12/3 plus ground.
At the moment only a 120v leg is attached to a 15A receptacle. I want to use
the existing wire that is running from the house to the garage. Thanks.
John

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JohnF wrote:

My main house panel has a 30 AMP breaker that controlling a single line

that
runs to the garage and has only a receptacle attached to it. I have a
complete main panel box/100 amp breaker and other breakers that were

taken
out when the main panel was recently upgraded to 200 AMP. I want to have
several separate lines in the garage for door opener, work bench,

lights,
etc. My question is how do I hook up the line to the extra panel? Do I
just connect to the 100 amp main just so that both sides of the panel

box
are energized and then connect the couple of lines I need in the garage

the individual 15 AMP breakers in the usual manner? Your input is
appreciated. John

I assume you'd like to use the existing wires.

Do you need 240V, or is 120V adequate? What size wire is the existing
circuit? The existing 30A breaker to a single outlet is probably done
incorrectly unless it is a clothes dryer outlet, so I don't want to make
any assumptions about what you are starting with.

Is this an attached garage or detached?

Bob

---