mike

TekMan wrote:
mike wrote in message ...

I picked up two non-working Tek Scopes a TDS540 and a TDS520.
Previous owner swapped the processor boards, unprotected the
calibration ram and let 'er rip. Apparently there was all manner
of complaining from the scope before it locked up.
Not sure which board that happened to. I'd like to learn as much
as I can before I go poking around and make things wose

I'm guessing from the original symptoms that I need to change all the
electrolytic caps. But what to do about the calibration constants?
The processor boards have the same part number and EPROM revision,
so I'm assuming the board can figure out which acquisition system
it's hooked to???
Did he just mess up the factory cal? Will the self-test/cal
set things back so it works ok? Is there any reasonable way to
get factory cal constants stuck back into nvram?

..snippety.

I'd recommend you download a Servicemanual (www.tektronix.com or from
www.teknetelectronics.com == www.datasouthmanuals.com) for free,
or download the calibration procedure for tds540 (www.logsa.army.mil).

Been there, done that. Both the logsa and the Tek manuals give a slew
of performance check info. The cal procedure consists of, "Insert the
super secret calibration floppy in your gpib computer and follow
directions."
Not much help.
mike

The TDS 540 is nice scope, but I guess the cal.'procedure takes you a
while ;-)

hth,
Andreas

--