Machineman

I am not to sure about the bobcat's, but I used to work for Thomas
Equipment here in Canada, who makes a similar product. They actually
invented the hydralic drive used in all of them today, but never
patented it.
It works with the motor driving a hyd pump, powering a couple of hyd
motors, one on each side, there is usually a reduction drive of some
kind and then chains out to each axle. The small ones used a chain
reduction and the larger units had a gear setup.
No clutches or transmission, everything is controled via valves
linked to the streering arms, drives like a tank. Mind you I have never
seen someone stand a tank up on its rear wheels and balance it there :-)
The testers would take each unit through a half hour break in period
to check them out, and once a day they would take a machine and run it
for a full 8 hrs.
Nice machines, but they are in the middle of nowhere. More people
worked in the town than lived there :-) I left for some more urban climate.
http://www.thomasloaders.com/

John Smith wrote:
I have a chance to pick up an older Bobcat. I don't know anything about
these but they look like fun. It has no engine, original V4 Wisconsin is in
junkyard.
I need to know if anyone has heard of putting a small water cooled auto
engine in one of these? I was thinking of a 3 cyl. Pontiac firefly.
What makes the wheels go? I have assumed that there is a hydraulic motor on
each side that drives the chains I saw under the cover plates.
Someone said that there is clutches and transmissions? I don't think so but
I know nothing. I only guessed hydraulic motors because it seems the ez way
to do it. Any help would be appreciated.- Thanks

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI

http://www.jamescrombie.com