John Smith

If you put the exhaust from any engine into it and weld with the engine
running you will be ok. The exhaust will not burn, no oxygen. It will stop
the fumes from exploding the same way dry ice does. - no oxygen. This works
great, and no need to find a supply of dry ice.

"wallster" wrote in message

"Randy H." wrote in message
I did the same thing. I got a hole in my tank from something that got

kicked
up off the road. I filled the tank with water and as much as I could

leaving
only a small air pocket. I was going to braze weld it shut with my

propane
&
oxy torches. I had at least 90 % full of water. When I put the torch to

it
the tank still had enough vapor in it to cause it to give a big burp.

Water
sprayed me all over from the fill hose. It scared the snot out of me! I
wasn't sure if it was the water from the tank, or if I ****ed my pants!

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

hehehehe.... where's a camera when ya need one!
walt

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote in message
Just fill the tank up with water. Close the cap and vent tube. Turn

the
tank over so that the area that you are going to weld is located at

the
small air space left in the tank.
I have done this with Oxy-acetylene and occasionally I would get a
little burp at the crack or opening I was repairing. There wasn't

enough
space for any gas residue to have any power.
Randy

"wallster" wrote in message
I have an old gas tank off of a motorcycle that needs a mounting tab
tacked
on to it. When I emptied the tank, the gas was real old and smelled

like
varnish so i flushed the tank with acetone (rusty in there), then

rinsed
it
out with soapy water several times. I dont think it would explode

because
of
the age of the fuel that was in it and it was thoroughly rinsed but

i'm
not
a big fan of blowing my fingers off my body so i'm a bit relunctant

mig
this thing. A friend suggested to go outside with the cap off and

stick
propane torch in the opening and see if it flashes. If it doesn't,

it
most
likely wont explode. Any comments before I muster up enough nerve to

tack
this tank.

thanks in advance,
walt