RonB

From my own experience I would use tubes. If your shop is unheated, or gets
cold when unused, be sure to get the cold weather fixtures.

We have several recessed lights in our house and they provide good
decorative lighting, accent lighting, etc. But the light is very localized
and you really need to be under one to get their advantage. If you are not,
you are in a dark spot.

By contrast our three car garage/shop has three 8-foot, two tube fluorescent
units serving about 635 square feet. They are arranged in a "T" with two
parallel to the wall opposite the three doors and one perpendicular to the
others in the center of the garage. These three fixtures provide a lot of
light. Shortly after we finished the house a friend drove down a road .2
mile from our house when the garage doors were up. He said our garage
looked like the Cape Kennedy shuttle assembly building - a slight
exaggeration but we do have good light.

Ron

"Charles Jackson" wrote in message
I'm having a house built and am planning to use the garage as my workshop
until we can build a detached workshop down the road. I'm thinking of

using
recessed can lights to illuminate the space. My garage will be 26-1/2' x
23'. I would prefer not to have a lot of hanging fixtures or tube lights
mounted on the ceiling but don't know whether recessed lights would be a
good choice. Has anyone here used recessed (can) lights in a workshop? How
did they perform? Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Charles J.